I felt that getting the opportunity to teach in the pool was a privilege because not every school including the school where i went to high school has access to a pool. I also was very excited to teach this lesson because i have a background in swimming and diving. I felt that not a lot of kids have the opportunity to be taught the proper way to dive so I saw this as a perfect chance to educate the students and also use my prior experience in diving. the lesson went well everyone in the class got a chance to dive, I also feel that the students remained occupied with the lesson thorough out the entire lesson. I wish that i had more time with the lesson and actually got to progress onto the board. I feel that my over all class control and the smoothness of the lesson went really well.
Monday, October 31, 2011
I enjoyed teaching this lesson to the class I feel that teaching an international game broadened my horizons and opened my eyes to different cultures and activities. I was also surprised on how quickly I ran out of time. Going into the lesson I was a little nervous about teaching for 10 minutes but after going through it I realize how little time that is and how fast it goes by. Also I want to see myself get more involved with the class and give more feedback to the students and just overall be more enthusiastic. Overall I and happy with my progress in teaching and learning how to control a class and manage the students, space and time. There are still things that I need to keep working on and improving.
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
(To the whole class)
All right class my name is Mr. Tompkins I’m going to be your sub for phys Ed.
My signal for attention today is going to be my voice so when ever you hear it I need you to stop look and listen.
What I want everybody to do right now is get a jump rope, get in your own space spread out so you don’t hit anybody, and just warm up for about a minute and just get the feeling for a jump rope.
Practice what ever you want right now.
Make sure you spread out
Guys spread out!
(To the whole class)
Alright guys everybody bring it back in
Lets go hustle up.
Alright class what we are going to learn today is something called the wingding.
Everybody remembers what we learned earlier today with the side straddle. Your standing there and its open closed open closed open closed
We are going to do something very similar to that except now its going to just one foot going out instead of two
So your going to be there you’re jumping rope your jumping rope
And then as your, it goes right then left then right then left right.
So if everybody can spread out and practice that right now
No rope everybody put the rope right next to them on the ground
Alright any questions?
Everybody practice that ready
Right left right left right left right left
Ok good everybody understands?
Doesn’t seem too hard
Alright so I'm going to demonstrate for you so you guys can kinda get a feeling for it
Alright again it’s going to be right oops
Lets try again right left right left right left
What you want to do you want to really focus on staying jumping on just that one foot so the foot that is going out is not really stabilizing you that much its just touching the floor and coming back, touching the ground and coming back
So you’re really focusing on jumping on one foot
Alright so everybody pick up their ropes and let’s see what you got
Remember the cues right left right left
Remember your just jumping on that one-foot the other is going out and touching
Alright guys listen up stay in your jump then just put the right foot out and jump again then get your self ready then put the left foot out and jump again
And as you get better just go everyone
Slow it down if your having trouble
Alright go ahead
Alright guys everybody bring it in
Lets go bring it up over here
Who can tell me what we learned today
Alright who can tell me some of the cues for the wingding?
Right left right left
Not only is jump rope good cardio it gets you going it gets your heart rate going it’s a good work out
It also helps some of you guys out with your dance moves helps you be light on your feet
So when you’re out there at a party you can impress some of the ladies
Alright guys everybody good job today bring it up
We are going to break it down wingding on three
ONE TWO THREE
I feel that I am getting more comfortable with teaching a lesson with the more opportunities I get to do it. There are still some things I feel I need to improve on. one of them being is taking my time with the lesson. This means talking and explaining things slower and also give the students a little more time to preform the task. Another thing i want to try to improve on is being more interactive with the class and give more feedback. I like where I am going with my teaching and am looking forward for more opportunities to improve.
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
I found that the second time around teaching the same lesson and actually having time to prepare was a lot less nerve racking. With that said there were still a couple of things that I forgot to say and do in the lesson. I forgot to add a safety statement, I forgot to tell the class what the signal for attention was, and I forgot to actually demonstrate the game for the students. All of the things i forgot to add this time teaching i will make a point to add it in my next lesson. There were a couple of things that i feel that i did well. I feel that i projected my voice better this time around. I also feel that i interacted with the class more as opposed to me just standing in the front of the class and telling then students what we are going to do today. I am looking forward to starting Lab B so I can get another chance to improve on my teaching skills!!
(To the whole class)
My name is Mr. Tompkins I am going to be your sub today for Phys Ed because your regular teacher can’t be here today.
Today I was walking into cl uh school today
Everybody has cell phones and texts right?
I was walking into cl uh school today and I had my head down and I walked right into the door because I was texting and walking at the same time I have a huge headache right now.
So today what we are going to learn in class is the basic skills of dribbling.
What I want you guys to focus on is keeping your eyes up and always be aware of where the defenders are keeping your eyes up and not looking down at the ball when your dribbling
So if everybody could just spread out and get in a good athletic stance
Everybody has their basketballs with them now
I want everybody to practice dribbling with the ball out in front of you keeping the ball on your fingertips not slapping the ball with the pal of your hand keeping your knees bent always keeping your eyes up ad paying attention to where you are
So go ahead everybody stand there and practice dribbling
Nice job see if we can switch hands with it
In your weak hand
Back over to your right hand
One more time
Aleright nice job
What we are going to do today we are going to play a game called sharks and minnows
Im going to split you guys up into half, half the class is going to stay down here and the other half is going to go on the other um side of the gym
And we are going to have about uh five or six people with uh basketballs on one side and about five or six people in the middle that are going to be the sharks and the fish with the basketballs are going to have to get to one side to the other with out losing the basketball
So if everyone from here over stay down here and here over go down there
Lets go hustle up
1,2,3,4,5 1,2,3,4,5 with basketballs down here
And you 4 are going to be the sharks in the middle
The people in the middle are going to have to seal the ball from the people here
The people over here are going to have to get from this side to that side with the balls safely
Alright ready 1,2,3, swim fish swim
Keep those eyes up
Everybody make it across safely?
Alright let’s go lets bring it back ready 123 swim fish swim
Alright lets switch it up if you were a shark you are going to be a fish now and if you were a fish you are going to be a shark now
Lets go lets hustle up
Alright everybody ready 123 swim fish swim
Alright lets bring it back one more time keep those eyes up
Alright class night job lets go bring it in
Alright again today we focused on the basic cues of dribbling
Can you tell me one thing about dribbling?
(To the whole class)
Good job today class everybody bring it up uh basket ball on three 123 BASKETBALL!!
Sunday, September 25, 2011
Chapter 2 questions
3) There are three stages when learning a motor skill.
- Cognitive stage- which means that the learner needs to see the skill done and think about it before he or she can attempt it.
- Associative stage- this is the stage where he learner is attempting to prefect the skill by performing it this is the stage where feedback is necessary from the teacher.
- Automatic stage- this is the stage where the learner has practiced and preformed the skill and it can be preformed automatically
4) -When teaching a closed skill the teacher needs to break down the skill and teach it in segments to focus on certain points of the skill. When a student shows proficiency with the progressions of the skill the teacher needs to but the learner in the actual environment that the skill is going to be performed.
-When teaching a open skill the teacher needs to slow down the skill have the learner perform the skill with no defenders or no time limit then eventually as the learner shows progress in learning the skill build up to game like practice.
-When teaching a discrete or serial skill the teacher needs to break down the skill because the learner needs to understand that there is more then one skill that needs to be learned in order to perform the entire skill. Once the teacher has broken down the whole skill to the learner the teacher can put the skill together and have the learner practice it in a game like environment.
Chapter 4 questions 2,3,5
2) One way to improve communication with the learners during class communication is to try to relate to the students some how. One way a teacher can do that is by using students in the lesson by saying Billy is very good and what ever it is you are teaching that day, one other way to improve communication is by linking the lesson with something that the students are interested like the NFL game that was on TV on Sunday or the MLB game or a good kids movie or show, something that will make the kids want to listen to what you are saying.
3)- information is accurate
- Student should perform skill if possible
- Teacher uses organizational format that students will use for practice
- Important information is emphasized
- Give information on why a skill is performed in a certain way
- Student understanding is checked
- The demonstration is repeated more then one time
5) A good learning cue given by a teacher should be short to the point but still explains enough of the task given to help the learner remember what he or she needs accomplish.
-Cues for closed skill: Free-throw
Younger students: -knees bent
-Make line (with foot arm and basket)
-Push to the sky (with ball)
- Make rainbow (with follow through)
Older Students: -Knees bent
-Elbow in line with basket
-Shoot for back of rim
-Cues for Open Skill: Volley Ball set
Younger Students: - Knees bent
-Make window above head
-push ball to sky
Older Students: - Track ball
- Diamond above head
- Push hands out and ball up
Friday, September 16, 2011
1) The statement teaching is a goal-oriented activity means that there is curriculum that needs to be met by the physical education teacher set by the National Association for Sport and Physical Education.
5) Movement task-student response is so important to Physical Education because this is where the majority of the learning in a Physical Education class is going to take place. After the class performs a task and the teacher observes it the teacher will then give feed back to the class on what needs to change and get better.
7) Teaching functions are things that all teachers need to be able to do, the functions are just guidelines on how to promote and organize and good learning environment for the students.
1. Assessing student performance: a teacher can administer a test to observe the students performance, or the teacher can just observe during class while the task is being preformed.
2. Evaluating: the teacher can either give a written grade on a report card or just give a verbal grade after the skill was assessed